Proposed Lagan footbridge
It is proposed that a new shared use pedestrian cycle bridge across the River Lagan, should be provided, between the Gasworks / City Centre and Ormeau Park.
The anticipated benefits of a footbridge at this location would be to improve access to facilities on both sides of the river for local communities, help encourage more sustainable commuting, bring the ‘green’ area of Ormeau Park within convenient walking distance of the city centre and provide a new link across the River Lagan.
Lagan Footbridge Feasibility Report
A Feasibility Study exercise was undertaken by the Department for Regional Development to consider the physical, social, environmental and operational constraints of the site, identified through consultation with stakeholders and a series of Public Information Events in Belfast (Belfast City Hall and two other local venues).
Ten design options were developed as part of the feasibility exercise, with three designs recommended for further consideration. The Feasibility Report can be viewed by downloading each part listed below.
- Feasibility Report (PDF, 2.37MB)
- Feasibility Report - Apendix A and B (PDF, 4.21MB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix C, D and E (PDF, 988kb)
- Feasibility Report - Appendx F - Introduction (PDF, 540kb)
Each of the option documents below illustrate the ten designs that are being considered for this scheme.
- Lagan footbridge option 1 (PDF, 728kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 2 (PDF, 924kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 3A (PDF, 604kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 4 (PDF, 742kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 5 (PDF, 857kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 6 (PDF, 813kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 7 (PDF, 1.01MB)
- Lagan footbridge option 8 (PDF, 946kb)
- Lagan footbridge option 9 (PDF, 1MB)
- Lagan footbridge option 10 (PDF, 452kb)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix G (PDF, 412kb)
What happens next?
An Economic Appraisal will now be developed to allow the three recommended options to be further considered prior to seeking Executive approval to proceed.