Road Improvements - Introduction
The Department for Regional Development and its Arm’s Length Bodies maintain and develop infrastructure and services that are vital for everyone in Northern Ireland. This includes our water and sewerage networks, roads and footpaths, and public transport services. Transport NI is one of two Core groups within the Department. It is responsible for ensuring that the public road network is managed, maintained and developed, as well as delivery of wider transport projects including Belfast Rapid Transit. Transport NI has a key responsibility in ensuring that measures are taken to implement the roads aspects of both the New Approach to Regional Transportation and the Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland 2011-21. The road network plays a vital role in promoting economic growth in Northern Ireland where 99% of freight and people movements are by road. For further details see "More Information" side panel.
Strategic Road Improvements are managed under three programmes:
- The Construction Programme; a list of major road improvement schemes currently under construction.
- The Preparation Pool; which allows high priority schemes to be advanced through the statutory processes up to the point where a decision to commit to invest in building the solution can be made. Subsequent progression into the Construction Programme is dependent on the level of funding available at that time.
- The Forward Planning Schedule; a list of major road improvement schemes identified for preliminary development, which together with those in the Preparation Pool and Construction Programme, constitute the SRI Programme. The highest priority schemes will be considered for progression into the Preparation Pool.
Gateway procedures for the progression of major road projects:
- Gateway 0 – Approval of the Preferred Corridor;
- Gateway 1 – Approval of the Preferred Route and to commence the Statutory Procedures;
- Gateway 2 – Approval to prepare the contract documents;
- Gateway 3 – Approval to commence the procurement process;
- Gateway 4 – Award the contract.
- RSNI Guide to Planning New Roads (176kb) provides a brief overview of road planning procedures.
- RSNI Guide to Accommodation Works (129kb) provides a guide to owners & occupiers affected by new road construction.
- RSNI Guide to Major Road Development (168kb) guidelines for the aquisition of land / property for major road development in NI
- DOENI Guide to Insulation Against Traffic Noise (564kb) offers guidance on The Noise Insulation Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1995
- LPS Guide to Compensation for Agricultural Owners and Occupiers (248kb) affected by compulsory acquisition schemes.
- LPS Guide to Compensation for Business Owners and Occupiersf (241kb) affected by compulsory acquisition schemes.
- LPS Guide to Compensation for Residential Owners and Occupiers (341kb) affected by compulsory acquisition schemes.