About Us - Roads Service
Dr. Andrew Murray
Chief Executive - Roads Service
As Chief Executive of Roads Service, Andrew Murray is responsible for the Agency’s overall performance and operations. The main elements of the position are detailed below:
- To be responsible, for the efficient organisation and management of Roads Service with particular emphasis on best value, for the achievement of its targets and as, Agency Accounting officer, to be accountable for the use of the resources allocated to the Agency;
- To improve, maintain and manage the road network in Northern Ireland in order to facilitate, in a sustainable way, the safe movement of people, goods and services for the social and economic benefit of all people in Northern Ireland;
- To ensure that the service, within the resources available, meets the needs of the public in terms of acceptable standards of convenience and safety for personal and public travel by the application of the necessary scientific examinations, planning , engineering and financial expertise and to examine alternate methods of funding;
- To make sure that measures are taken to implement the roads related elements of the Regional Transportation Strategy for Northern Ireland 2002-2012 and the Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland;
- To develop relevant policies and strategies to enable objectives to be met;
- To provide, as appropriate, direct support to the Minister and to deal with queries from elected representatives and others; and
- To ensure all our activities are carried out in a fair and equitable way.
You can find out more about Roads Service on the Transport NI Section of this website.
Director - Roads Service Corporate Services
The Director Of Corporate Service has the following functional responsibilities within Roads Service:
- strategic planning, performance monitoring, communications policy and Equity Agenda;
- primary legislation;
- lands acquisition and management and subordinate legislation;
- development and implementation of human resources policies;
- Secretariat and;
- operation & development of IT services
Director - Roads Service Network Services
John Irvine's functional responsibilities within Roads Service are as follows:
- maintenance and operation of the public road network, including car parks, telematics and street lighting systems;
- improvement of the network, ranging from major road schemes through to local transport and safety measures; and
- providing the point of contact for road users and their representatives through 24 local section offices and 4 divisional head offices.
Director - Roads Service Engineering
Pat Doherty's functional responsibilities within Roads Service are as follows:
- head of profession;
- development, co-ordination, review and updating of standards, policies and procedures; andmanagement of internal consultant and
- contractor organisations (Roads Service Consultancy and Roads Service Direct) and the Transportation & Engineering Policy Unit.
Director - Public Transport Services Division
|Ciaran Doran is the Director of Transport NI's Public Transport Services Division
Director - Roads Service Finance
John McNeill, the Roads Service Director of Finance has the following functional responsibilities:
- operation and development of management information and financial systems;
- ensuring that all financial policies, procedures and systems meet government accounting guidelines; and
- financial performance monitoring.
Director - Roads Service Strategic Programmes
The Director of Strategic Programmes has the following functional responsibilities within Roads Service:
- implementing Roads Service's Strategic Road Improvement Programme Planning; and
- co-ordinating the transfer of current Roads Service responsibilities to new structures in local and central government by May 2009.
Independent Board Member
|John Keanie was appointed as an Independent Board Member (IBM) of the Roads Service Board on 1 April 2009. As an IBM, his role is to provide external advice and expertise and offer an independent constructive challenge to the operation of the Board in managing the running of the Agency. From the 1 June 2009, John will also Chair of the Agency Audit Committee.